Follow by Email

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Long Overdue Update :)

Wow, where to even begin. Since my last post, we've had our baby shower; we got through the holidays; I almost lost my Mom to heart failure and she had open heart surgery as a result (she's doing much better now...more to come); I flew to Hawaii to be with my Mom for all that; we moved; AND I'm still pregnant! It's been crazy.

First things first - the baby! Today's my second due date (two different doctors, one said the 4th, one said the 10th) and still no real signs of labor. We saw the doctor yesterday and he "swept my cervix" which was really painful and resulted in a minor cramp last night that got me all excited and then was gone. Too funny. I guess Jin will come on his own time, and this is good practice in patience as new parents. I just want to see his face and be able to finally hold him. And I want him off my pelvic bones and bladder.

Woo has been Woo - you know, AMAZING. He's been working hard to set up the nursery. In fact, we'd been tossing around the idea of buying a decal/mural thingy to put on the wall and today while I was at work, he decided to just paint one. Check it out:

I was floored at how great it turned out. Woo is so phenomenally talented, and it's exactly what I had envisioned. He painted the walls the other day, and has been working on a ceiling piece with greens and whites and blues made of paper lanterns. I really haven't had to do anything. I got home from work last week Wednesday and he'd done about 90% of moving us out of our apartment and into the house we moved into. I am in awe of him, he's good to me in a way that I just didn't understand any one person could be to another.

My Mom has been doing really, really, really well, which is another huge thing I'm so thankful for. On just this past Thanksgiving day, her heart stopped twice and she had to be resuscitated and brought back to life both times. I'd never felt so helpless. Woo saw that and rushed to help me make arrangements to get to Hawaii (where she was) the very next day, and when I arrived she was still in surgery to repair the ruptured artery that was causing internal bleeding, and thus causing her heart to stop. Three days after that surgery, she underwent open-heart surgery to perform the double-bypass that was causing the blockage that caused the ruptured artery in the first place. It was the scariest thing I've ever been through, but she was so strong and her courage was contagious. Her faith never faltered and because of it, I was reminded of the kind of legacy that my Mother has passed to me as an individual. She's one of the bravest people I know; in fact, she comforted us more than we did her.

So the greatest news is that she is healing really well, and that her doctor cleared her last week to travel, so she arrives here tomorrow night! I'm excited to see her, and so abundantly thankful that my little Jin will get to know his Grandma Fono. I don't know how I would have been able to bring my first child into this world without my Mom still in it, so I'm thanking God that I'm not being asked to do that. Here's a photo from the night before her bypass, and one from her first walk, the day right after surgery. She never stopped being cheerful and encouraging, and her doctors were amazed at how quick her recovery process was. I'm so proud of her!

When I got home after 9 days in Hawaii (during which my Mom was already discharged from the hospital), I arrived right in time for our baby shower on December 4th which our great friends Shannon, Kiernan, G, Cody, Pat, Rachael and Duane threw for us. I had such a good time, and I couldn't believe how much stuff we got! We got a million diapers, a ton of books, and everything on our registry that a baby could possibly need to get through it's first years of life. It was so touching. Here's a photo that I ended up using in our first-ever Christmas card:

Then we also got some pregnancy photos done. Here's one of our favorites, which also ended up on the Christmas card:

Isn't it sweet? Jin is going to love his Daddy, he's got the best one in the world. :)

Ok, I've got a ton more updates to come (and hopefully one about a baby having been born between this post and the next one). Love you all, family and friends...night-night!

No comments:

Post a Comment